Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Monday Sundance Movies - Here's What I Saw

Terri

This is my favorite of the festival so far.  It concerned a 15 year old boy who takes care of his ailing uncle and is dealing with finding his place in the difficult social landscape of high school.  I found it to be completely devoid of cliches and a really honest and moving story. John C. Reilly was awesome as the assistant principle of the school who befriends him.


Another Earth

This was an interesting blend of science fiction and indie character-driven drama about a very young woman who seeks out the man whose family she killed in a car accident several years earlier - at the same time as a new planet is discovered that may or may not mirror or own.  I thought this one was good - I am glad it got bought and it's definitely worth seeing. 



Take Shelter

Starring Michael Shannon as a suburban family man who begins to believe that the end of the world is approaching. What else do you need to know? The performance here is what you'd expect, but that's about all you can predict from this tense drama.  It's my second favorite of the festival so far. 


The Details

Dark comedy, ensemble cast.  Laura Linney was fantastic as a super kookypants manipulative neighbor, but Tobey Maguire as doctor and family man? Do not buy it.  The story was interesting enough, but I didn't laugh once. Well - only at Laura Linney.  A little.



Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same

You've got. To. See. This.  I didn't even need to read the description in the film guide to know I'd want to check this one out, and I was right. Hilarity! B-Movie style. Filmed on and around 14th Street - both East and West Village - and without a permit.  Which added to the aesthetic bigtime.  It was fun to see all the familiar locations since I live right there there of course.  I was confused as to why this screening wasn't packed and I have a feeling the buzz is very positive.  I really hope it gets picked up because I can see it doing great in LA/NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment