Friday, January 21, 2011

The new Miranda July Film

Was hearbreaking and just the right amount of whimsical.  It is called The Future. And let me tell you - it really doesn't get old going around town saying "I just saw The Future and it was GREAT!"  I liked her last movie but wouldn't say I was part of the cult of Miranda July. I'm starting to jump on the bandwagon, though. As long as you can at least stomach her last movie, you'll love this one too. If Me and You and Everyone We Know wasn't your cup of tea, don't bother with this one.  It's about a couple who decide to live life more fully in the thirty days leading up to their committing to an adopt a shelter cat.  They kind of look alike - tall, skinny, shaggy blond hair - i wonder if that was an accident. Probably not. At any rate - rambling here, but definitely see this. Probably my favorite so far.

Then the next (and final) film of the day was also my most anticipated - Win Win directed by Tom McCarthy. Interesting tale that mixed elder law and high school wrestling - two subjects definitely underrepresented in modern cinema.  Paul Giamatti stars for once as NOT a loser - a perfectly competent (albeit somewhat morally dicey) suburban lawyer who must deal with the mess caused by the grandson of a client showing up on his doorstep.  The movie also featured two of my favorite working actors - Melanie Lynskey and Amy Ryan.  I have no complaints about this movie - it was wholly enjoyable and very well done. I don't know that it had quite the same independent edge as McCarthy's last films (The Visitor and The Station Agent) but it was great all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment